Tuesday 15 September 2015

CHAPTERS 11 AND 12 DESIGN AN ACCESSORY + COMPOSITE SHEET

Select a design idea to develop


As I mentioned in a previous post I do not have a sketch book/work book record of the development of my accessory. The embellished purse was inspired by an embroidered sample I made whilst working on  Chapters 4 and 8 of this module. I think the initial idea came from a web page concerning Steff Francis and her work using silk waste for decoration.
In the original sample I used silk carrier rods, they were split apart, dyed in complimentary colours and machine embroidered to a background fabric in a stripe pattern. I subsequently embellished this with hand embroidery and lots of beading. The sample is a 2-d design with a rich textural feel.

This particular stitched sample turned out to be one of my favourites from this module and was the inspiration for my accessory. You saw it at Summer School and we both thought  it was crying out to me to be transformed into a evening purse! I went home and started work on the purse straight away. I love hand stitching and beading. The design evolved as I worked and regrettably I did not record the process. My enjoyment and enthusiasm for the piece  took over and I eventually made two evening bags/ purses in different styles.They are both lined, padded and the backs are quilted. One has a decorated button closure the other one has two handles. I dyed all the fabrics for these purses. The photos of both are below.
Purse one made using the original sample.








Second purse with handles.





I am not sure what to do about the composite sheet. This is working backwards record of my progress to the finished accessories. I will await your feedback and make sure I keep a better track of my progress in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment