Saturday 12 September 2015

RE DELAY IN POSTING CHAPTERS 9, 10 AND 11

Hello Sian,
 I feel in need of a 'chat' with you, so please bear with me whilst I try to explain my long break from Module 3. You saw my work for this Module at Summer School and we decided that my shell cushion could be my resolved sample and I would develop my stitched sample, using silk carrier rods, into an embellished evening purse for my Accessory. I came home and really enjoyed finishing the evening purse, in fact I made two. Then I sat down to complete the written work for Chapters 9, 10 and 11. I read words like 'design elements' , 'design development', 'design an accessory'  and 'composite sheets' and all my old phobias about sketch books and designing came back. I had already finished my resolved sample and accessory, both pieces were my work and unique designs but now I would need to work backwards and explain how I had arrived at the end products. I felt that I could not remember or explain the exact design progression. I almost threw in the towel at this point but instead decided to take a break from Module 3 and return when I was in a calmer frame of mind.

I have given this matter a lot of thought over the past weeks and these are my reflections.  I think my phobias go back a long way. I have always found the concept of designing using a conventional sketch book almost impossible. Maybe it's because I come from a needlework, dress making background and did not go to art school. I would love to produce a sketch book with drawn images and notes on the design process much like the ones I have seen created by students at Summer School. This has always made me feel inadequate. I thought that this Course might cure me of my phobias and/or help me to produce a Sketch Book.   I have tried but it is not going to happen.  There is never going to be a detailed sketch book recording my on going and gradual progress to a finished piece of work because this is not the way my mind works.
 But I am not giving up, I have come to the conclusion that there is no point in drooling over other people's sketch books and trying to copy their way of working and designing. I need to accept that my way is just different but I can still achieve an end product that is truly my own. It is difficult to explain but I feel my way is an organic, evolution to the end product. I design in my mind and initial ideas change as I work. I use a variety of things for inspiration or as a starting point. For example, a beautiful  image developed into my shell cushion, a stitched sample demonstrating a new technique was the starting point for my evening purse.  But I did not develop or record this evolution in a sketch book. I was engaged in watching the piece grow in my hands until I felt it was finished.

  I do have my work book/large file where I keep chronological samples of all the images, techniques  and design concepts etc. that I have used and learnt about in the Modules. I will now use this file as 'an aide memoir' and work backwards to try and explain to myself, as well as you, how I achieved my end products!! The Chapters will be with you soon but I would welcome your comments and input on the above before I finish the chapters. Thanks and regards Lorna

PS. During my break from Module 3 I have joined a local Spinning and Weaving group. I have learnt how to spin with a spindle and spinning wheel and just acquired my own spinning wheel. This has been very therapeutic and I will be able to make my own yarns for future projects!




























  








No comments:

Post a Comment